Pattern Cutting.


Learning and Understanding the terminology of pattern cutting instructions is very difficult, for me. I have never followed a step by step process for making a garment and even though I knew this was going to be challenge I know it will make the quality of my garments at a higher standard. My garments and the style of them are very minimal and simplistic- this means that I need to show good sewing techniques in order to create something visually engaging.

I had asked my lecturer numerous of times to help with my pattern cutting instructions for the jeans and even had one of my peers help me. I realised that I needed to concentrate on the methods of following a pattern so that I didn't need to keep asking for help from both the lecturer and the peers.

I spent one whole day putting together my jeans and tried to document every step and tips that my lecturer gave me. After I completed them I adjusted the measurements while the model was trying them on so that they would fit in flattering and comfortable way.


I knew that my underwear wouldn't take as long as the jeans would. So once i finished the jeans, i moved onto the underwear because it is important that i get the measurements and shape as accurate as possible. The previous day I noted down the measurements of my model so that I was prepared to sew them in the right size and shape.
The picture above shows an example of what style i am going for - the "engendered" design. I used a jersey fabric for my toiling to understand the elasticity that the fabric would have once it was sewn. Because my organic cotton jersey is very delicate and soft I need to overlock all hems so that the underwear and bra does not unthread.

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Tears Series

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig