Indigo Dye Experiment.

After talking to my lecturer about ways of getting higher grades, I decided to include the indigo dying process in my garments. 
Xintangs rivers are mainly polluted and contaminated by the dying chemicals that are used to colour the jeans and bras. I decided to use Indigo dye because it is a prominent colour used in the jeans manufacturing. 

I bought natural indigo dye because of my sustainable and eco-friendly methods throughout this project. The natural indigo dye was powder which was then diluted in tap water - i had to use quite a bit of this powder to get to a more deeper blue. The photo below shows what It looks like once dissolved in the water. 

I then got a sample of my sustainable denim fabric and used a brush to apply the indigo dye. I had to put quite a bit of the dye on to get more of a blue colour rather than a green/turquoise. 



I really like the colour on the denim, it definitely brings out that "jeans" effect. I would like to use this process on my jacket but only a small amount of this colour because my concept is about purifying and cleansing the fashion industries ways of making clothes.

I then decided to apply the dye on the embroidery pattern which is suppose to look like water. Instead of putting it on the denim I dyed the thread instead but i think it looks quite messy and would prefer it to be on the denim rather than the thread.

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Tears Series

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig